Fig Scones

After moving into our new home eight months ago, I was excited to find out that we had a fig tree! I realized, that I probably had never had a fig before, and couldn’t wait to try one!

The day came several weeks back, when I blissfully tasted my first fig. They were so moist and sweet! I couldn’t stop thinking of the recipes I could begin incorporating them into. And so, here is my first recipe using figs.

Β The figs added into the scone, was a refreshing change for me. A typical scone around here would be one with raisins. I love raisin scones, but I am always eager and excited to try something new. I also, don’t want to over use a recipe πŸ˜‰

By looking at them once baked, you wouldn’t be able to tell that there are figs inside. They don’t have a spectacular color like my Pomegranate Scone recipe, yet there is a delightful little surprise waiting for you once you take a bite. Its like, finding little chunks of jelly throughout the scone.

I think it is the perfect combination!

I could only find a handful of ripe ready Figs from our tree that day, which turned into 3/4 cup chopped. You can use as much or as little as you like. I think 1 cup of chopped figs would be perfect though.

Cut up the figs into small little chunks and incorporate into the flour, sugar, butter mixture.

Cream the egg and 1/2 cup of sour cream (or heavy cream, half an half) together. Add into the dry mixture.

Very gently, fold the dry and wet together. I make sure that I do not over mix here, even if the scone is a bit wet, it will cook and taste perfect.

Place the slightly wet scone dough onto a floured surface. Take a knife and dived the mixture into two parts. With floured hands form a round cake.

There should be two round cakes here, but I only had a picture of one. With a knife slice the dough into four pieces. There will be eight scones total.

Place the scones onto a cookie sheet. I used a Cast Iron Skillet for this recipe. Sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar on top. Bake at 400 F. for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden.

Slice open a scone and spread some butter (my preference) on each half.

I like to eat my scones fresh, so once we have had our fill, I will take the leftover scones and place them into a zip-lock bag and put them into the freezer. When I have guests over or have a craving for one, I can easily pull the scones out and microwave for 10 seconds and they will taste as good as if they had just come out of the oven.

Now put the kettle on and make yourself some tea!

This is my favorite traditional scone recipe and the one I used for making my Pomegranate Scones. I just switch out the fruit.

Fig Scones….

two cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons unsalted butter (I like it to be very cold, even frozen)

3/4 to 1 cup of chopped figs

1/2 cup of sour cream (or half & half, heavy whipping cream, evaporated milk, whatever you have on hand)

1 egg

Directions

(Directions adapted from All Recipes)

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in pomegranates.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk cream and egg until smooth.
  4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
  5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

14 Comments

1. Amy August 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Yum-Yum Elizabeth! I’ve never had a fresh fig either, but I bet they taste as good as you said. I love anything fresh and naturally sweet! I have got this recipe now copied and saved and on my next baking day, I’ll have to give them a try!

How are things going? How’s your summer?

I sure do miss you!

Love Ya,
    Amy

2. Alanna August 22, 2013 at 2:36 am - Reply

I love scones, and I love figs. These look perfect! I’m so envious of your tree – lucky you! Gorgeous photos. πŸ™‚

• E. Ann August 26, 2013 at 10:29 am - Reply

Thank you for your sweet words! I know, I am pretty blessed to have a fig tree πŸ™‚

3. Pam August 25, 2013 at 3:04 am - Reply

Wow Sweetie
    What a beautiful, beautiful post. The figs look and sound wonderful. I love the thought of little chunks of jelly through out the scone; now I am thinking “where can I find some figs”. I love that you have a fig tree. We had one when I was growing up, and I always thought it was a wonder.

We are still here in Alaska; fly home tomorrow. I have internet
    for just a little before I get home; can’t wait to call you.
    Love Mom

• E. Ann August 26, 2013 at 10:57 am - Reply

Mom, I can’t wait for you to get home so we can catch up!!! Thank you for your sweet comments! I have missed you greatly this last ten days not being able to talk πŸ™‚ I love you so much!!!

4. Carrie August 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm - Reply

I just made these today! I had some fresh figs from the market and you can only eat so many by themselves πŸ™‚

Very tasty. I love the texture of soft and warm on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Thanks for sharing!

• E. Ann August 26, 2013 at 10:28 am - Reply

Oh I am glad you tried the recipe and liked it! How nice that you already had the figs on hand πŸ™‚ So very glad you enjoyed it.

5. Aimee / Wallflower Girl September 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I am scone-crazy and these sound/look absolutely delicious! Bookmarking and will definitely be trying at some point πŸ™‚

6. Jan September 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm - Reply

These scones look magical! What an amazing surprise to move into a house only to discover later that there’s a fig tree in your yard. That’s amazing πŸ™‚

7. Rebecca March 9, 2015 at 11:26 am - Reply

I can finally eat after a sickness bug and at 22 weeks pregnant these were the PERFECT way to celebrate eating again!! I also have Ceoliac disease and these are still incredible with GF flour substitute! Thank you for sharing!! πŸ™‚

8. Debbie August 8, 2015 at 3:08 pm - Reply

I got fresh figs in my Bountiful Basket yesterday and had no clue what to do with them. I went on Pinterest and found your recipe and decided to make them for my grandmother who is from England and is celebrating her 93rd birthday. WOW, is all I can say. They are so delicious and delicate. My daughter is a breakfast server at a 5 star resort and often brings home scones made by a pastry chef. I have to say these kick there scones butt. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe.

• E. Ann August 28, 2015 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness I just loved reading up your comment. Thank you for taking the time to come back and share. I am delighted that they were such a hit! Thank you πŸ™‚

9. Samantha August 27, 2015 at 8:49 pm - Reply

I love figs but have never tried scones. I just tried this recipe with strawberries and figs (because strawberry fig jelly is amazing so I thought what the heck!) and they were so delicious! Thank you for the beautiful recipe. You’re pictures are on point btw!

• E. Ann August 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Oh thank you Samantha! I have been absent from my computer and catching up with comments. Your kind response makes my buttons pop! Thank you πŸ™‚

Leave A Response