I love lemon water in the morning! And the health benefits are many!
When I was 19, I had just graduated from a one year ministry program and because of the busy hectic lifestyle, my body had suffered in many ways. My mom, sister and I did a liver cleanse for six weeks and we loved it!
Especially the part in the cleanse, where the plan recommended to drink a full cup of lemon water first thing in the morning, at least fifteen to thirty minutes before breakfast. All three of us remember this part the most I think. The effect it had on our digestion and liver was unforgettable lol!
Over the last few months, I had decided to begin this healthy habit again and began buying a bag of lemons every week.
Winston fondly calls his lemon water, “lemon aid” which rings quite true 🙂
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the benefits of lemon water first thing in the morning, and was DELIGHTED in what I found!
1. It balances the pH of our bodies. Lemon being an acidic juice instantly turns to alkaline, once it has been metabolized.
2. It keeps the skin clear and glowing! Which I have noticed my skin seems cleaner since we began a few months back.
3. Helps boost the digestion. This is always very noticeable for me. Knowing that it is best for the body to digest food everyday instead of every two or three days, the lemon water helps aid in creating bile for the digestion. It helps bloating, heartburn and intestinal gas and jump start the digestion in the morning.
4. It has anti-bacterial properties that will help if you are suffering with a cold and have congestion, mucous and a sore throat.
5. Lemon water may help burn fat and encourage weight loss, if you are eating and healing your body with healthy foods.
6. Encourages the body in consuming water rather than coffee first thing in the morning, which is a big one for me! It also seems to wake you up right away 🙂
There were many more things I discovered but these were the major ones 🙂
Lemon Water in the Morning
1/2 a lemon juiced/squeezed into a glass of non-chilled water or warm water.
Scoop out any seeds that were squeezed into the water and be sure you don’t drink those down.
I have noticed using a straw not only makes it seem special, but also removes the tartness in my mouth. Winston loves using the straw and will drink far more with one than without one.
Stir and drink!